ORC Part 4: Bathroom Remodel Installation

One Room Challenge: Part 4 – Hail Storms, Hurricanes, and Typhoons Are the Hitch in My Giddy-Up

Last week I reviewed the project budget with you. This week I’m going to talk about the bathroom remodel re-building process and what has happened up to this point. As with all projects, there were some hitches. I had three minor, but not very costly bumps in the road:

  1. When we started to remove the tile several pieces were coming off at one time and we made the decision to scrap the tile on the sink wall. This meant that I was short about 1/2 roll of wall paper. I ordered an extra double roll, but this could have been a disaster. As I mentioned before, wall paper is printed in dye lots. There is very little variation in color within the same dye lot, but there can a lot of variation in color between dye lots. This only cost me about $80.
  2. I found water damage and dry rot in the dry wall on the exterior wall. This is probably from a previous hailstorm or hurricane, which may have let in moisture temporarily. When I removed the dry wall, there was some trapped moisture behind the vapor barrier. We had found a leak in our porch ceiling, which shares a wall with the bathroom, so I think there was some trapped moisture from that. I didn’t see any other issues with water. There was a very small amount of mold, which we removed with a mold treatment. We also replaced all of the insulation and the vapor barrier. Altogether that added a about $300 to the project. Well worth it though. You never want to leave something like that untreated.
  3. There was a typhoon somewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere this summer and if you’re wondering how that affects my project, you are asking a great question! The factory that makes the vanity mirror is located somewhere in Asia. The initial delivery date for the mirror was supposed to be within the timeframe of the ORC. However, the typhoon ceased production in the factory and the delivery date was moved to mid-November. I needed a plan B. This wasn’t a costly hitch, but I had to act fast!

Catch up on the posts

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3

Bathroom Re-biuild Highlights

This happened fairly early in the re-build process. That is because this is a messy process and there are a lot of noxious fumes. Since we had removed part of the tile that was going to be glazed, the cost was reduced by about $150. The glazing turned out beautifully. It’s amazing how much difference the white tile made.

Post Glazing. Isn’t this a much better look?
Drywall & Door

The drywall was repaired and re-built in two steps. The first step was resurfacing the viable drywall. The walls needed to be sanded and scraped to remove the remaining mortar from the tile. Then, drywall mud needed to be applied to create a smooth surface for the wallpaper. The second stage was rebuilding the damaged wall. Ideally these would be done at the same time, but the moisture and mold were discovered the day before the drywall work throughout our home was to begin. As not to cause delays with other projects, we rescheduled the one wall for a week later, so that I could make sure there was no active water intrusion, remediate the very small amount of mold, and replace the insulation and vapor barrier. In the end, there was no active leak and the problem was easy to remediate, thank goodness!

A note on mold: I live in very warm, very moist Central Florida where ALL old houses have mold. Mold remediation can be a time consuming and expensive process when the mold is extensive. Most experts recommend calling a professional mold remediation company if the mold is more than 9-10 square feet or 3′ x 3′. I found an area about 1 foot by 3-4 inches. I had done extensive research and sought the advice of other professionals. However, if you are unsure how to handle the situation, consult a professional mold remediator.

Smooth, beautiful, wallpaper-ready walls!

The door was installed around the same time as the drywall. I had selected a single lite French style door with “rain” glass for privacy. This is the only bathroom in the house that did not have any natural light. I am big believer in natural light as a preventative for mold and mildew in wet spaces. Nothing keeps your bathroom fresher than ventilation and natural light. Plus, this bathroom is adjacent to the pool area and it is my personal opinion that all pool baths should have French doors! I really think the door made a huge difference!

After the moisture intrusion repair. New insulation and vapor barrier
The door and fully repaired wall! 100% ready for wallpaper!

The doors to the bathroom, both exterior and interior, are only 24″ wide. This is fairly typical of older homes. If we had used a fully assembled vanity, it would have been difficult getting it into the bathroom. Since we used a Ready-to-Assemble (RTA) vanity, there was a simple solution: assemble the vanity inside the room! That’s exactly what I did. I spent the better part of a Saturday afternoon assembling the vanity. Like I said in my post on bathroom budgets, if you can assemble Ikea furniture, you can assemble an RTA vanity.

The counter surface for the vanity are a beautiful light gray quartz with no discernible pattern. The counters were installed a couple of weeks after the vanity. We needed to have the drywall repaired before any cabinets and counter surfaces were installed. The final result was well worth the wait!

Finished vanity cabinet

If you need help planning your next bathroom remodel, schedule your Design Style consultation with Paradigm Interiors today!

Next Week – Finishing Touches!

Share or pin:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.