One Room Challenge: Part 2

0 10 Comments

One Room Challenge Part 2: Demo Day

Demo day was a lot of fun! I thoroughly enjoy doing demolition work! There’s something very empowering about using tools and your own strength to create a clean slate. I usually crank up the tunes and and get cracking… in this case quite literally cracking! The demolition for this project was fairly simple and we used tools that can either be rented or purchased from your local home improvement store. Along with some of the tile, we removed the counter top and vanity, the old fluted trim, the closet door, medicine cabinet, and toilet tank in the first demolition session. We didn’t want to remove the lighting until after the drywall repair are completed because it is the only source of light in the room. The exterior door will also be replaced by professional door contractors.

The old particle board vanity and laminate counter top. You can also see the embedded soap dish and toothbrush holder. They will have to go.

Vanity Removal

The old vanity came out fairly easily. The hardest part was removing the counter surface. The counter top was laminate and was screwed into the vanity. Once the countertop was  removed, we unscrewed the vanity from the wall and disposed of it. The old vanity was 31″ tall, which was fairly typical for vanities in the 1960’s. However, the new vanity will be 36″ tall with the counter surface installed.

The counter measures at 31″, which is 5″ shorter than the new vanity.

Tile & Trim Removal

Because the new vanity is about 5″ taller than the old vanity, we needed to remove several of the tiles above the vanity that were touching the ceramic toothbrush holder and soap dish embedded in the the tile.  Then we planned to replace  just the tiles we removed. I bought enough wall paper to cover the wall from the ceiling to the tile line, which was about 42″ around most of the room. The trim came off the wall easily, but we were also concerned that the trim removal might damage some tiles because it was grouted in place next to the tile.

All of the tile has to go. You can see here that everything is connected with a wire mesh, making it very difficult to remove just 1-2 tiles.

The Best Laid Plans…

As the great poet Robert Burns once said, “The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry…” or something like it. Our project was no exception! For starters, the tiles above the vanity did not come off with out breaking the tiles next to them. So, we decided to remove all of the wall tile on the vanity side. I’m glad we decided to do this because we realized that there was some water damage to the exterior wall on the vanity side and this offered is the opportunity to make those repairs.

Everything is gone!! Time to start rebuilding!

However, I only ordered enough wall paper to cover 1/2 of the wall. I immediately reached out to the showroom and asked if I could order another double roll from the same dye lot. This is important because a new dye lot can cause the color to vary significantly. As luck would have it, they were still working from the same batch!! In the meantime, I was coming up with a plan “B”, which  would have been to only cover the wall behind the vanity. In the end, it all worked out and the bathroom will be fully covered in wallpaper as I had initially envisioned!

The original wall paper! It actually had zero yellow in it!! What?!?!

If your hitting a wall in your design and decorating project, set up your complimentary Design Style consultation today! We’d love to help you with your dilemma. Not sure about your design style? Take our style quiz and get some great decorating tips!

You can access the ORC blog page Here: https://www.oneroomchallenge.com/orc-blog/

Next Week – Budget Review

 

 

Categories:

10 thoughts on “One Room Challenge: Part 2”

  1. It seems there is always some *surprise* during the demo phase of any project! So glad you could get more of the wallpaper to make it all work out – I love that wallpaper!

    1. julielampe says:

      Oh! More “surprises” to come! The last two weeks have been challenging…

  2. CK says:

    OMG the fun and the mess of demo! I wish we could have seen more of the old wallpaper. Yikes. On to Week 3!

    1. julielampe says:

      Fortunately/Unfortunately (?) there was very little left of the old paper, but I would love to have seen the whole pattern. I saved a piece of it for posterity though!

  3. Elle says:

    Wow, what an ambitious project. So exciting to get the demo done I bet!!

    1. julielampe says:

      It has been a fun challenge! We’ve done a bathroom ourselves before, but not done the rebuild on the kitchen. When the ORC is over, I’m going to share the kitchen project… It has taken a bit longer than the bathroom. I’m still looking for a roofer to help us get the vent set up!

  4. Erika Taylor says:

    Lol at the 0 yellow in the wallpaper. Yaaay to demo day, it is Chip Gaines’ favorite day. Can’t wait to see the finished bathroom.

    1. julielampe says:

      Yeah, it was not at all what I expected! With all that yellow, I totally thought there would be some yellow in the paper. The 60’s and 70’s were so weird!

  5. Darla Powell says:

    Love seeing the progress pics!

    1. julielampe says:

      Thanks! More next week! I can’t wait to write up the kitchen!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *